星期日, 7月 25, 2010

Sharing the Book Report Ex-18

25/7/2010
Sharing the Book Report
Ex-18 Superstitions

(Kar) I remember when I was young, my mother did not let me wash hair, sweep the floor on Chinese Lunar New Year’ Day since she believed superstition. She said if I did, I would be unlucky. As a result, she angrily told off me after I had done. However, I don’t agree with her. I am used to washing hair or sweeping the floor on that day now.

Some Chinese people still believe lots of superstitions, such as numbers 14, 24, 40, 58, ordering seven dishes for dinner, giving a clock to someone as birthday gift, and so on, all being considered unlucky.

On the other hand, some Hong Kong people believe that they become lucky after having superstitions ceremonies such as they put up new "fai-chuns" after housecleaning, these "fai-chuns" which include phrases of good health, good luck, good fortune, prosperity, success, progress, during Chinese Lunar New Year. Hoping for good luck in the year ahead, the Buddhists try to be first to place their incense sticks into big trays in Wong Tai Sin Temple after midnight at Chinese Lunar New Year. Also, they believe some certain numbers bring them lucky such as 18, 28, 33, 66 and 99 etc.

In my opinion, we should not depend on superstition. Instead, we should be positive to face difficulties, nothing is impossible.